Community organizations are looking for individuals whose knowledge, skills and experience would benefit their services and the people they assist. Check out the volunteer opportunities below and get involved today!
If your agency is looking for volunteers, please fill out this form!
- Road to Recovery Programs Volunteers: For those who cannot drive themselves or have no other means of getting to treatment, volunteers donate their spare time and the use of their personal vehicle to give cancer patients in their community a much-needed ride. REQUIREMENTS = Driver's License Needed, Background Check, Must be at least 18, Orientation or Training Required, Reliable car, auto insurance and driver's license, empathetic, high level of customer service.
815-939-4433 | email@example.com
To sign up for a packing team, visit our sign up genius. For any of the other volunteer opportunities, please contact Rev. Robert Bushey at (815) 939-4433 or email: BIBRVC@gmail.com
- Packing Volunteers: Help pack the bags, distribute the bags to the schools, pick up grocery orders stock, and organize the pantry help with fundraising to create public awareness.
- Senior Companion Program Volunteers: Offers adults, 55+, the opportunity to support and interact with their homebound frail peers through regularly scheduled home visits. Income eligible Senior Companion volunteers receive a modest tax-free stipend, mileage reimbursement and generally volunteer 20 hours per week.
- Long-term Care Ombudsman Program Volunteers: Volunteers provide advocacy and support for residents of long-term care facilities. The volunteers act at the direction of the resident to resolve his/her concerns and complaints.
- Money Management Program Volunteers: Offers adults the opportunity to serve and advocate for low-income older adults who have difficulty budgeting, paying routine bills and keeping track of financial matters. Money Management volunteers have the opportunity to work directly with clients or serve in the program by assisting with quality assurance monitoring and program support.
- Telephone Reassurance Program Volunteers: Volunteers make friendly telephone calls to older adults who are isolated, reside alone, or just need encouragement or reminders throughout the day.
- Back to School Fair: (seasonal) Summer event hosted by Catholic Charities/Bears Care. Offers resources from a large variety of local organizations.
395 N Schuyler Ave, Kankakee | 815-937-4277
The Center of Hope serves our county on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. We have 2 shifts available each of those days; 1st shift is 9:00-11:30, and 2nd shift is 11:30-2:00.
- Grocery Room Volunteers: In the grocery room, volunteers "drive" a cart and bag groceries as the client makes their choices. This job is one-on-one with a client.
- Bag Room Volunteers: In the bag room, the volunteers go through donated bags and discard bags deemed non-recyclable and prepare safe bags for use by the grocery room. Recycling bags saves the Center approximately $400.00 per month since we use around 3,000-4,000 per week.
171 N West Ave #1 | 815-936-7172 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- CASA Volunteers: Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASAs) must go through a training with Child Network in order to volunteer. You will be assigned to a foster child who is in the court system, and you will be their advocate until the case is closed. Click here to fill out a CASA Volunteer Application.
For more information, contact Director Monica Brigham at email@example.com or 815-697-2665.
- Acting Buddy/Learning Buddy Volunteers: Adults 18 years and older who are not considered to be on the special education spectrum are invited to join us on stage or in the classroom to assist our actors/artists. Acting experience is not necessary for our theater program.
815-546-3271 | Kankakee, IL
Requirements: Must be 12 or older to volunteer at street outreach, and must be 14 to volunteer at shelter. No mandated volunteers allowed. Shelter volunteers must complete a 2 hour training.
- Retail Store Volunteers: Our consignment store in Bradley, IL allows us to fund our programs for the homeless and to create job training opportunities for those we serve. We are always looking for volunteers willing to be trained to work some regular hours each week or month. We can also use some irregular volunteers at times to help with some projects. If interested, please call the store at 815 304-5295.
- Street Outreach Outreach Volunteers: Individuals who volunteer on our street outreach team plan to spend about 1 1/2 hours with us, loading up, outreach, and restocking. Dress warm in cold weather! Anyone 12 or older is welcome to join as long as you sign up in advance. Groups of more than five MUST get pre-approval (email Dawn at: firstname.lastname@example.org.). Sign up is required and the link can be found at www.fortitudecommunityoutreach.org
- Shelter Volunteers: Volunteers are needed to staff the overnight shelter sites and provide/serve an evening meal and breakfast. Shifts will be: 6-10:30pm Setup, registration, dinner, socializing/activities 10:30-3:00am supervision 3-7am OR 5-7:30am supervision, breakfast, cleanup.
710 North Chicago Avenue, Kankakee | 815.937.5065
- Foster Grandparent Volunteers: Foster Grandparents are persons aged 55 and over. The Foster Grandparent program pairs a "Foster Grandparent" with a child who has exceptional or special needs. The Foster Grandparents serve as tutors, mentors and caregivers at 12 volunteer sites in Kankakee and Livingston Counties. For more information or to get involved, call the number listed above.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to participate and need to complete a background check. All volunteers must complete an orientation training.
- Program Volunteer: As a volunteer with Girl Scouts you'll help introduce girls to new experiences that show them they are capable of more than they ever imagined. You'll be their cheerleader, guide and mentor, helping them develop skills and confidence that will last long after their time with Girl Scouts. Be the role model she'll always remember at girlscouts.org/volunteer.